JISC Leap2A - Summary
|The Structure of portfolio information
Leap2A has an Atom extended XML schema that covers the following portfolio fundamental information types:
- digital artefacts made by the portfolio holder
- short expressions by the portfolio holder
- information about the portfolio holder
Selection of those units of information items can appear together as portfolio items and can be imported or exported individually or together from different systems.
Digital artefacts: (audio, video, multimedia, plain text) have associated information - metadata (author, date, title,). Portfolio holder presents them as evidence of their abilities.
Short expressions: (blog entries,) that can be understood in its context. They nevertheless exist and can be managed separately. Metadata stores information about dates, authors, rights, Portfolio holder.
Items: Information in e-portfolio and Leap2A is grouped into items. Each item can be presented as Atom entry (each item corresponds to just one entry). Each item has type. Each item type has literal attributes, relationships and categories. Items are connected (Leap2A predicates) with metadata (literal values, properties). Similar predicates are used for connecting different items with each other. Data can be grouped in following groups:
- Literal metadata - related directly to item
- Personal data - not related with portfolio core processes; e.g. name, nationality, contacts, ID
- Organizational data - part of personal data - awarding and provider organizations.
- Structured content - similar to references but also related with page layout
- Relationships - data about links between items and other entries.
|Correspondence with Atom Structures
Leap2A is based on Atom Syndication Format. Atom was designed for exchanging the blog feeds but fits also for exchanging the portfolio information. Information exchange is based on the XML format. In the Leap2A the Atom is extended because Atom's vocabulary is not enough for representing all information stored in e-portfolio. Very few elements of Leap2A are mandatory, expect if they are mandatory in Atom.