Share.TEC - Objectives
|The Share.TEC consortium consists of leading European institutions involved in teacher education and the project brings this competence together in a common attempt to establish a functional portal of TE content. Important project objectives is to develop semantic, linguistic/cultural and technical interoperability and to foster reusability among other things.
In Share.TEC, leading European institutions involved in teacher education and in the development /distribution of digital resources for TE come together in a common endeavor to establish a highly visible and functional portal with advanced brokerage services that provide personalized access to a wide-ranging federation of TE content. Founded on the critical mass of partners’ quality-proven TE resources, Share.TEC will interlink with external databases and with distributed TE resources generated by the user community, thus allowing constant enrichment and diversification of the service.
Share.TEC will encompass a wide range of resource types: as well as material suitable for formal, structured TE, the system will cover contents suitable for individual and self-guided CPD, for supporting collaborative learning, as well as schemata or plans that model reusable learning paths. End-users will be able to gain a clear picture of the pedagogical characteristics distinguishing the resources they retrieve, a factor that will strongly promote reuse in authentic contexts.
Share.TEC is based on a collaboratively-developed TE ontology that is the foundation for a multicultural model designed to capture semantics from a variety of educational systems and cultural settings. As there is no existing endeavor in the TE field with these characteristics, Share.TEC has the potential to become a practical reference point fostering community-based participation.
The specific objectives are:
- Semantic, linguistic and technical interoperability
- Fostering reusability
- Provision of an effective means for describing heterogeneous TE resources while maintaining compliance with international standards and spec
- Provision of an effective brokerage system for TE
The Share.TEC project covers a period of three years and includes different kinds of deliverables and activities which will generate results and solutions.
Making quality contents for TE across Europe more accessible, reusable and exploitable - Share.TEC will provide integrated access to different databases of quality resources for TE owned by different public and private institutions and distributed in different places across Europe.
Foundation of a European network of communities in the area of TE resources - The network will include both communities born around the project and existing professional communities. These communities will be an important means for propagating educational innovation based on digital resources sharing across Europe.
Sustainable and coordinated expansion of federated TE content aggregation - This result will be obtained by:
1) providing facilities for interlinking with other databases;
2) activating a network of user communities which can continue to grow after project conclusion;
3) providing integrated access to professionally developed and/or commercially-distributed resources for TE together with open resources created by users.
- Integrated environment – This is the core element of the project, providing users with a search portal that federates distributed TE resources.
- Effective Brokerage mechanisms for TE contents – Share.TEC will give individual users the means to locate the resources best fitting their needs, thanks to its synergic matching mechanism.
- Teacher Education Ontology - An extendible ontological structure capable of overcoming cultural linguistic barriers and exploiting the richness of European diversity.
- Common metadata model - Derived from the TEO ontology this model captures characteristics common to multiple European contexts and is therefore culturally non-specific.
- Multicultural Metadata Model - This provides the means for cross-cultural resource and experience sharing, thus helping to nurture a sense of community in TE at European level.
- Metadata Migration Facility – This tool is for linking to external repositories and resources. It will assist or automate a metadata migration process Resource
- Integration Companion Kit – This kit will provide guidelines and an assistive tool to support users in the process of classifying new resources according to the Share.TEC metadata model.