OASIS - Summary
|OASIS faces the most pressing challenges in the promotion of small school virtual communities within the public educational system:
- The improvement of the schools interoperability: How to enable different applications and systems to share data and promote interoperability between applications and services from different vendors and platforms, in order to improve usability, accessibility, efficiency and reduce costs
- The creation of a cost-effective Zone Server for the school: How to provide operating procedures and tools which improve quality and reduce costs through the use of cost-effective, user-friendly administration solutions
OASIS is divided in 7 different work packages (WP), each of them focuses in a concrete item of the project development. Here you can find a list of the different WP and a brief description of them:
- WP1 - Requirements & Validation
- WP 1.1 User Requirements. It will identify future school requirements and correlate them with Actual and Future Needs and Plans of European Ministries of Education
- WP 1.2 Collaborative Learning. It will define and test in pilots different pedagogical models for collaborative ICT learning
- WP2 - Interoperability, Standardisation and Harmonisation. It will study architectures and will Investigate SIF (Schools Interoperability Framework) for the evaluation and possible implementation in Europe. It will make recommendations for adoption for the School Networks
- WP3 - Open Code Software Library. It will implement the Web Library of Open SW supported with harvesting and metadata tools cataloguing. Address to both Software professionals and teacher authors, it also include a Distribution and Training System
- WP4 - Examples of OASIS Components. It will define OASIS architectures and will develop prototypes of three key elements to check in practice WP2 specifications, and to validate with users in WP 5 Pilot.
- WP 4.1 Zone Server
- WP 4.2 School Server
- WP 4.3 Java based Kernel
- WP5 - Architectural & Technological Pilots. "Put in Practice & Show" pilots that in addition of WP4 prototypes will implements wireless technologies and ubiquity, to integrate the schools and local communities. Ministries represented in the European Schoolnet will be aware of the evaluation and will have the tools to decide upon implementing the results into their school networks.
- WP 5.1 Zone Server
- WP 5.2 School Server
- WP 5.3 Wireless & Ubiquity
- WP6 - Dissemination and exploitation. It spreads the knowledge of the project, and the developments done. It prepares the way of exploitation of the project and to reach a consensus on the sustainability of the project among the partners
- WP7 - Project management. It provides internal management and both financial and administrative control of the project. It also plannes external cooperation and communication.