LOM - Summary
|LOM specifies a conceptual data schema that defines the structure of a metadata instance for a learning object. For this Standard, a learning object is defined as any entity -digital or non-digital- that may be used for learning, education or training.
A metadata instance for a learning object describes relevant characteristics of the learning object to which it applies. Such characteristics may be grouped in general, life cycle, meta-metadata, educational, technical, educational, rights, relation, annotation, and classification categories.
The conceptual data schema specified in this part permits linguistic diversity of both learning objects and the metadata instances that describe them. This conceptual data schema specifies the data elements which compose a metadata instance for a learning object.
Data elements describe a learning object and are grouped into categories. The LOMv1.0 Base Schema consists of nine such categories:
- The General category groups the general information that describes the learning object as a whole.
- The Lifecycle category groups the features related to the history and current state of this learning object and those who have affected this learning object during its evolution.
- The Meta-Metadata category groups information about the metadata instance itself (rather than the learning object that the metadata instance describes).
- The Technical category groups the technical requirements and characteristics of the learning object.
- The Educational category groups the educational and pedagogic characteristics of the learning object.
- The Rights category groups the intellectual property rights and conditions of use for the learning object.
- The Relation category groups features that define the relationship between the learning object and other related learning objects.
- The Annotation category provides comments on the educational use of the learning object and provides information on when and by whom the comments were created.
- The Classification category describes this learning object in relation to a particular classification system.
Collectively, these categories form the LOMv1.0 Base Schema. The Classification category may be used to provide certain types of extensions to the LOMv1.0 Base Schema, as any classification system can be referenced.