EduTubePlus - Overview
The EduTubePlus project aims to develop a European hybrid, multilingual video-based service for schools. This service will integrate thousands of multi-lingual curriculum-related video-clips by major European educational TV & video providers, with tools enabling educators to enrich the library with user-generated clips. The EduTubePlus service will enable users to develop, translate and share video-based learning scenarios and lessons, to search resources using terms related to their national curriculum and to use video in a pedagogically relevant manner in-class.
The EduTubePlus service will come about as a result of the effective adaptation, extension and integration of existing digital educational video resources and services, robust technical solutions, pedagogical knowledge, best practices and success stories.
An on-line, European multi-lingual video-clip library with 9.000 curriculum-related clips is being created by selecting, from existing educational resources provided by the project partners, core-concept video-clips suitable for in-class use, according to a well-defined video selection strategy.
The video-on-demand platform of France5/lesite.tv service is being extended to support user-generated video-clip uploading and manipulation, as well as efficient search mechanisms based on a multilingual ontology of curriculum related terms, enabling teachers and pupils navigate and find multicultural resources using terms related to their national curricula in their native language. The search capability of the service is being further enhanced by combining a graphical interface by RAI Educational used for organising and retrieving resources related to when and where the topics under discussion took place.
By integrating an on-line Learning Scenario Design tool within the system, teachers are encouraged to develop and share video-based learning scenarios and activities, using suggested customizable templates or modifying existing ones, based on a sound pedagogical framework for video-based active learning.
With the support of a Learning Content Management System linked to the EduTubePlus video-clip library (AeL LCMS), teachers will also be able to develop and share on-line lessons, combining all types of learning objects.
A translation service for the on-line translation and localisation of video-clip subtitles and learning scenarios further strengthens the EduTubePlus service.
The EduTubePlus service will be available at the http://www.edutubeplus.eu site. Within the context of the project more than 50 European schools will use and evaluate the service in real class conditions, creating an active educational community and providing valuable feedback.
This hybrid European video-based e-service is also in the process of developing new business models for the Educational TV and video market and the market of Internet based services for schools.
The EduTubePlus project is co-funded under the European eContentPlus programme which aims to make digital content in Europe more accessible, usable and exploitable. This 2.5 year long project started in September 2008 and will finish in February 2011.EduTubePlus Web Site
|The EduTubePlus project aims to create an innovative, hybrid video-based e-service for the educational community, which will be based on the following:
- A European multilingual curriculum related library with quality, professionally-produced educational video clips, accessible through multilingual educational and curriculum related metadata. The initial EduTubePlus Library will contain some thousands (~ 9.000) of educational video clips derived from the original resources (full-length video and video clips) that video stakeholders bring into the project. With the support of an on-line translation tool, the video clips can potentially be available in all languages of project partners.
- An on-line video publishing, uploading, sharing and management platform (EduTubePlus platform) along with e-services for the pedagogical utilisation of the EduTubePlus Library in the classroom (support of on-line creation of video-based learning activities) and for the on-line translation of video and educational material. The EduTubePlus e-services will support:
- the extension of the EduTubePlus Library with user-generated (users: teachers, pupils, etc.) educational video clips, allowing the co-existence of professionally and user-generated content in one Library
- the on-line design, creation, localisation, storage and sharing of video-based learning designs/educational activities generated by the educational community according to the proposed pedagogical framework, yielding added value to the existing video resources
- the creation of a growing community of educators, students and schools who collaborate, localise and share the EduTubePlus resources and share their experiences and best practices
- A pedagogical framework for the effective use of video in class, extending the existing paradigms for video-supported learning.
|Additional outcomes will be:
- Some tens of teacher and/or pupil generated educational videos (EduTubePlus UGOV library) and a number of concrete user-generated video-based learning activities (e.g. in the form of lesson plans), appropriately annotated and inserted in the EduTubePlus Library, consequently extending the initial EduTubePlus Library with user-generated educational resources.
- Valuable feedback from the use of the EduTubePlus hybrid e-Service in real class conditions, with respect to the specific goals set (improvement of the learning process, use and re-use of the available content, creation of active educational communities, etc.), which will be delivered in the form of a study/report.
- A multilingual ontology of multinational curricula concepts
- A comprehensive guide for new content providers (professionals or users) and new users who will express interest in joining the venture or in using the EduTubePlus hybrid, content-based e-service. The guide will address issues concerning the IPR and licensing scheme, as well as technical issues, e.g. video content specifications for in-class use (format, metadata, etc.).
- An active community of schools, teachers and students who will have been involved in the project by using the EduTubePlus e-Services in their class.
- Finally, an important outcome of the project will be to create the conditions for new business and innovative e-services with respect to the exploitation of the EduTubePlus hybrid e-service, including the syndicated online video library and the new syndicated educational products (multilingual and multicultural learning activities, localized for meeting the goals of national curricula, with embedded video material by multiple vendors across Europe).
- Research Academic Computer Technology Institute (RACTI) - Greece
- GIE lesite.tv (lesite.tv) - France
- Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs (MoE) - Greece
- UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL DE EDUCACION A DISTANCIA (UNED) - Spain
- Companhia de Ideias Anonimas Comunicacao Social Lda (CI) - Portugal
- RAI-Radiotelevisione italiana Spa (RAI) - Italy
- EDUCATION HIGHWAY Innovationszentrum fuer Schule und Neue Technologie GmbH (eduhi) - Austria
- EduCentrum vzw (KlasCement) - Belgium
- Klett Lernen und Information GmbH (Klett) - Germany
- University of Hull (UofHULL/Institute for Learning) - United Kingdom
- MENON Network - Belgium
- SIVECO Romania SA (SIVECO) - Romania
- Centre for the Development of Telecommunications in Castilla y León (CEDETEL) - Spain
- ATiT Audiovisual Technologies, Informatics and Telecommunication (ATiT) - Belgium
- Jyväskylän yliopisto; The University Of Jyväskylä / Dept: Kokkola University Consortium Chydenius (JY/Chydenius) - Finland
- Fondazione Maddalena di Canossa’s (FMC) - Italy
- SZÁMALK Education and Information Technology Ltd. (SZÁMALK Ltd) - Hungary