IMS Learning Information Services - Overview
The Learning Information Services (LIS) specification is the definition of how systems manage the exchange of information that describes people, groups, memberships, courses and outcomes within the context of learning. This specification establishes the means by which learning management systems exchange relevant information i.e. it defines system interoperability through a set of identified services.
IMS Global Learning Consortium
IMPORTANT: The LIS v2.0 specification supersedes the IMS GLC Enterprise Services v1.0 specification.
The specification is based upon the concepts of:
- Interoperability – LIS focuses on the exchange of information between learning information systems e.g. student information system, learning management system, etc. There are no assumptions in the specification on how the data is managed internally within a learning information system;
- Service-oriented – LIS defines the exchange of information in terms of the services being supplied by the collaboration of the systems;
- Component-based – the LIS are composed of the Person Management Service (PMS), Group Management Service (GMS), Membership Management Services (MMS), Course Management Service (CMS), Outcomes Management Service (OMS) and the Bulk Data Exchange Management Service (BDEMS);
- Behaviors and data models – the LIS are defined in terms of their behaviors and data models. The behaviors cause changes in the state of the data model and the state of the data model will only be altered as a result of a clearly defined behaviour;
- Multiple Bindings – the LIS information model is to be defined so that a range of different bindings can be made available. The bindings of immediate importance are to the Web Services Description Language (WSDL) and the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
|The Set of Services
The LIS consists of six services that can either be used individually or in various combinations.
The six services are:
- Person Management Service Information Model (PMS) – to manage and manipulate information about People by exchange data about the people who are participating in learning;
- Group Management Service Information Model (GMS) – to manage and manipulate organizational structures, and other Group structures, by exchanging information about those structures;
- Membership Management Service Information Model (MMS) – to manage and manipulate enrolment of People on Courses, and other Group activities, by exchanging information about those memberships;
- Course Management Service Information Model (CMS) – to manage and manipulate Course structure information by exchanging data for about taught courses;
- Outcomes Management Service Information Model (OMS) – to manage and manipulate results information, used in Grade books etc, by exchanging data for outcomes information;
- Bulk Data Exchange Management Services Information Model (BDEMS) – to provide initialization and synchronization transfer of very large amounts of data. This includes support for the data models from each of the other five services.
|The Higher Education Profiles
The Higher Education (HE) Profiles identify the minimal subset of the functionality that must be supported by systems developed for deployment in HE. These Profiles (there is a Core plus several Additions) define the set of operations and data models that must be supported by the systems supporting the set of services within the LIS. A system can support greater functionality but there is no guarantee of interoperability for those extra features. Interoperability is only guaranteed for the functionality described in the HE Profiles.
The Core Profile consists of:
- The createPerson, deletePerson, readPerson, readPersons and replacePerson operations for the Person Management Service;
- The createMembership, deleteMembership, readMembership, readMemberships and replaceMembership operations for the Membership Management Service;
- The createCourseSection, deleteCourseSection, readCourseSection, readCourseSections and replaceCourseSection operations for the Course Management Service;
- The readResult and readResultIdsForLineItemWithLineItemType operations for the Outcomes Management Service;
- The announceBulkDataExchange and the reportBulkDataExchange operations for the Bulk Data Exchange Management Service.
|The four Addition Profiles are:
- Group – provides support for the management of Groups using the Group Management Service;
- Grade – provides support for the management of grades and grade books using the Outcomes Management Service;
- Combined Sections – provides support for the management of SectionAssociations using the Course Management Service;
- Full Course Hierarchy – provides support for the management of the full course structure (templates, offerings, sections and section associations) using the Course Management Service.
|IMS Learning Information Services - Version 2.0
***HTML documents may be viewed online, but may not be printed without permission. To download an electronic copy for printing, please go to the specification download page.***
Title: “IMS Learning Information Services”
Release Date: 15 March 2010
Status: Public Draft